Monday, January 19, 2009

Bathroom Reading Material

Today I was preparing Oo for watching the inauguration on TV tomorrow. Not only do I want to view the traditional ceremony myself, but I want Oo to perhaps one day remember that she saw history in the making. (And, truth be told, I also don't want hear whining because we're not watching "Super Why" or "Word World.")

I told Oo that we would be watching some different shows tomorrow, that I want to watch the inauguration of the next president. I explained what "inauguration" and "ceremony" meant, and I explained again what a president does. I reminded her about the day we went to the polls, and about how presidential inaugurations are the result of the voting. I described how both the old and the new president will be in the ceremony to show us when one president's job ends and the other one's job begins.

I tried to make it exciting for her -- again, because it is an historical event (and yes, because I don't want to hear whining). Ready to show her any of last week's newspapers, I asked her if she wanted to see a picture of the guy who was going to be the new president.

She replied, "No, that's alright. He's always smiling at me when I'm trying to go potty."

No comments:

Post a Comment