Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pony Tale

Sometime last fall, Oo decided she wanted to have long hair so that she could wear it in a braid. So in love with her short, bobbed hair, I reluctantly agreed to growing it out. It's a decision I don't regret because 1) it gives her some automony over her appearance, and 2) the longer hair frames her round face quite nicely.

But despite that the end goal has always been a braid, Oo has vehemently protested every attempt to put a rubber band in her hair. Of course she protests with her usual "flair," recoiling in fear and screaming "Ouch! Ouch! Ow-wah-ow-wah-OUCH!" the moment she sees me holding a rubber band and comb.

Yesterday, however, was different. I quietly, subtly suggested a pony tail, approaching her slowly, calmly, hands in sight to show I mean no harm, yet nonchalant so as to not create suspicion -- like one might approach a horse in the wild.

And it worked! I was able to rope that pony with a baby-pink terry cloth rubber band. Nothing fancy. Just a simple, messy pony tail. But, man, Oo and I were both thrilled and proud!



T was thrilled too, to see Oo's new do. He gave Oo lots of hugs. But it soon became apparent that his hugs were a means of getting close enough to pull the pony tail out. After the drama that ensued from T absconding with the pink band, I gave T a new hair accessory of his own to tug. He left it in his hair all day (and got a little ticked when I took it out at nap time).

2 comments:

  1. Oo looks so grown up with the ponytail! And T? Well he looks adorable with his hot pink barrette! Definitely a keeper for his teenage years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man they look so grown up!!!! What happened in the last six months? They aren't supposed to grown quite that quickly.
    I have pics of Phoebe's first pigtails. Little funny ones off the side of her head. Euphoria describes our joy I think. :) It's in a scrapbook and I giggle every time I see it. Enjoy every second of those salon moments with them. Truman's is pretty awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete