Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Practical Approach to Interior Design

We're finally going to paint the upstairs bathroom! I've been wanting to do so ever since we painted it 8 years ago. It's a sunshiny yellow, cheery and light. But I don't like it. The yellow makes everything look dingy, and it makes the beautiful azure tiles on the floor look like teal — I hate teal. We decided to paint it white. GASP!! I know, I know, we said we'd never have more than one white room in the house, but white really is the best choice for that bathroom.

On Monday afternoon, I decided to trek to the paint store to get some paint chips. I told the kids to put their shoes on so we could run a quick errand, and I was met with the expected barrage of questions: Where are we going? Do we HAVE to? Do we hafta go NOW? Why do you hafta to paint the bathroom? Why don't you like yellow? What color are you gonna paint it?

When I told the kids we were going to paint it white, T did not take the news well:

T: (in a loud, panicky voice) But you CAN'T paint it white because then the WHOLE potty will be camouflaged!!!  (a pause, then very quietly...)  I won't be able to find the potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment