Monday, November 17, 2008

Pajama Day

Note: Don't get too excited a new blog entry is here. This entry contains no pictures and nothing cute nor funny. It's just an update.

Last night (Sunday), as Adrian was serving the lasagna he made for dinner, I realized he was STILL in his PJs from the night before. Oh wait... so was I. I looked at the kids in the dining room... yup, PJs and PJs. None of us had gotten dressed all day. It wasn't a conscious decision to have a luxurious, lounging kind of day. It was purely that no one had the energy to bother with getting dressed.

It had been a rough week in our house. Here's a detail-lacking synopsis:

MONDAY
Nothing planned; just laundry. Kids' noses have been a little runny for 3 days -- ah yes, Fall weather is finally here. Adrian's not thrilled about going to work -- economy is really rearing its ugly head in trucking industry. I get a call -- my client needs an estimate for proofreading a website. Big job -- Suh-WEET!

TUESDAY
I'm awarded the website proofing job. I'm told not to start working on it until after 4pm. Project will take many days. Kids play together while I scramble to clean. Housework piles up when I have big proofing projects.

WEDNESDAY
Grandma watches kids while I go to doc appointment. Not a fun visit w/the doc, but I get 3 web pages proofed while in the waiting room. Won't get to proof again until kids go to bed. T has a little throat congestion -- cute little raspy voice. Adrian has business meeting at 11PM (seriously) with his client's 3rd shift drivers. T wakes up around 11PM w/ a barking cough and bloody spit. Hospital? Gotta wait for Adrian to get home. T perks up by then. No hospital visit needed -- whew! Also no sleep for us... T wakes every hour coughing/crying. Adrian tries to soothe T all night, while I work all night to finish proofing the first section of the website... the section that is due Thursday 8AM.

THURSDAY
Oo's rested and energetic; the rest of us are dragging our tails. Grandma watches kids in the morning while I go to a different appointment. After lunch, Oo and I take T to his doctor. The doc and some x-rays inform us: croup, ear infection, and slight viral infection in his lungs. Poor little guy! Adrian cancels tonight's client dinner. He puts kids to bed alone, while I start to tackle the next part of the proofing project.

FRIDAY
Adrian uses a vacation day. He and I switch roles -- he and T take Oo to school; I work during daylight hours. Kids are totally confused by this and become quite cranky. They stay cranky all weekend.

SATURDAY
More of the same, but now Oo's runny nose is becoming something more -- her voice sounds "crooked," as she would say. I proof most of the day. Adrian and I enjoy dinner out with friends, T zonks out early, Oo enjoys visiting w/ her favorite neighborhood babysitter.

SUNDAY
I work on the website all day (and then all night). Adrian watches kids, who are obviously miserably sick. This time, the kids switch roles -- T demands and complains all day; Oo is quiet and mellow (actually, more like "zoned out").

TODAY, MONDAY
T shows signs of getting better; Oo has a headache and fever all day. Adrian trudges off to work after an exhausting weekend with crabby kids. Nothing planned here; just laundry. Then I get word that another big proofing project will come our way this week...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Man! Those weeks are always very very tough. Hope you are feeling better and that the next job goes smoothly. We are all missing your family big time. Been meaning to call, but haven't had a good chunk of open time. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this week goes better for you and your family. Try to catch some ZZZ (and some Vitamin C) or you'll be the next one feeling sick!!

    ReplyDelete